The 2023 Toyota Sequoia is all-new, the first significant change since its last overhaul in 2008. Fifteen years is a long time between revamps, a delay that kept sales very low. The new model, though, suddenly races to the top of the pack, as it delivers a powerful SUV with a standard hybrid drivetrain. As a result, the 2023 Sequoia is worth considering, particularly for customers needing a traditional full-size sport utility vehicle.
Highlights of the 2023 Toyota Sequoia
Our full review of the 2023 Toyota Sequoia follows next week. In the meantime, we’re listing many of the key highlights of the new model.
2. Enhancing its city appeal, the Sequoia is adorned with chrome window trim and roof rails, while wrap-around taillights and an integrated roof spoiler streamline the rear look.
3. Toyota has made the doors open wider for convenient access, although this somewhat disrupts the window line harmony.
4. The TRD Pro models flaunt their ruggedness with distinctive features like orange safety lights in the grille, black 18-inch alloy wheels, a roof rack, and dual TRD exhaust tips.
5. Inside, the Sequoia has seen a drastic improvement over its predecessor. The cabin is visually appealing from the dashboard to the door panels, with abundant padded and soft-touch surfaces, and luxury wood and metal accents in upper trim levels.
6. Comfort remains a priority with power-adjustable front seats equipped with seat heaters.
7. The Sequoia can comfortably seat up to eight people, with the standard bench seats in both rear rows. There’s also an option for a seven-seat configuration with captain’s chairs replacing the second-row bench.
8. Although the third-row seats slide fore and aft for added flexibility, the total cargo space, when fully utilized, shrinks to 11.5 cubic feet, like some compact sedans. This may be its greatest weakness, a fact we’ll dissect in our upcoming review.
9. Technologically, the Sequoia stays ahead of the curve with an 8-inch or 14-inch touch screen for infotainment, depending on the model. It also features a customizable digital gauge cluster for an intuitive driving experience.
10. The infotainment system is packed with features like wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, navigation, satellite radio, Bluetooth, multiple USB ports, and a Wi-Fi hotspot. These are standard features across most model lines today.
Performance, Ground Clearance, and Towing
11. In terms of performance, the 2023 Sequoia introduces Toyota’s new i-Force Max hybrid system. This potent system, featuring a twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter V6 engine, an electric motor, and a 1.87-kWh battery pack, outputs a combined 437 horsepower and 583 pound-feet of torque.
12. Paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission, the Sequoia provides smooth acceleration, making it versatile for both city and highway driving.
13. Toyota’s fuel economy estimates for the Sequoia stand at 21 mpg in the city and 24 mpg on the highway, positioning it ahead of most full-size SUVs in fuel efficiency.
14. Although the Sequoia’s large dimensions may present some challenges in tight spots, its suspension system ensures a smooth, comfortable ride over uneven surfaces.
15. For off-road enthusiasts, the Sequoia is a worthy contender, particularly the TRD Pro version with its four-wheel-drive system, low-speed crawl control, a locking rear differential, all-terrain tires, and skid plates.
16. However, the Sequoia’s off-road capabilities are slightly hampered by a modest 8.7 inches of ground clearance (9.1 inches in TRD Pro models).
17. The Sequoia shines in towing capacity, ranging from 8,980 to 9,520 pounds, which is enough to handle boats, RVs, or large cargo trailers.
All in all, the 2023 Toyota Sequoia is a compelling full-size SUV, blending the advantages of a hybrid system with the power of a large SUV and the comfort of a luxury car. While it has a few minor drawbacks, the Sequoia holds its ground in the competitive SUV market with its robust features and impressive capabilities.
See Also — 2023 Toyota Sequoia Specifications
Photos copyright Stumpwater Media Group, LLC. All rights reserved.